Sunday, January 6, 2013

9-12.13: Welcome to Lovecraft, Head Games, Crown of Shadows, and Keys to the Kingdom (Locke & Key Volumes 1-4), by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez (2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 trade hardcovers)

I picked up the first trade of Locke & Key at one of the first two Comic Cons I attended. Like a lot of my early comics, I started it because my sister Sarah recommended it. I remember finding the series interesting, and I read the first two volumes relatively quickly, but as I picked up more and more comics of my own, this one got side tracked a bit. However, at Comic Con 2012 I encountered Joe Hill, author of the series, when I attended a panel he sat on with Margaret Atwood (my favorite author of all time). I found him funny and interesting, so I decided to attend the panel he and Gabriel Rodroguez were holding and reacquaint myself with Locke and Key. Seeing the dynamic relationship and enthusiasm the pair had for the series--as well as how much the attendees admired the series--resparked my interest in reading it. Just after Christmas, I received a big box of comics I had ordered from Amazon, and volumes 3 and 4 were among them. Since it has been some time since I read the first two volumes, I decided to begin anew and read the series from the beginning.

Locke & Key is a horror comic that tells the story of a family beset by tragedy, beginning with the death of the male head of household. The first volume of the comic sets the premise, wherein a mother and her three children move to the east coast to live in a huge old house, full of mysteries. The mysteries relate to a collection of keys hidden throughout the house that open doors in unexpected ways. For instance, the first key young Bode finds and uses opens the Ghost Door: pass through it, and your ghost leaves your body and can travel unseen just about anywhere; return through the door and into your body. Each volume of the series focuses on a different key, woven within an overall story of magic, horror, violence, intrigue, and everyday life. The tale is extremely well told, and the premise that adults are unable to see and/or accept as real any of the magic created by the keys raises questions about imagination, age, and the line between real and imagined. Rodrigiez's art is beautifully detailed, providing a believable setting for improbable events. I'm happy I reconnected with Locke and Key, and I recommend it to mystery and horror enthusiasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment