Friday, January 11, 2013

16-17.13: Free States Rising and The Five Nations of New York (Volumes 11 and 12 of DMZ), by Brian Wood and Riccardo Burchielli (2012 trade paperbacks)

Before reading this review, take a minute to read my review of the previous two trades, available at this link. As I explain there, this comic is one I really love, even though a war comic--depicting a second American Civil War taking place in the years after 9/11--doesn't really seem to be my cup of tea. However, Wood's excellent storytelling and Burchielli's gritty and intense artwork create a compelling and thought-provoking alternate reality, in a genre appropriately labeled "poli-fi" by the author of volume 12's introduction.

Volume 11 opens with Wood taking us back to the events that led up to the civil war, filling in some details I had always wondered about. Journalist Matty Roth is reunited with some old friends in the second half of the trade, and rumors of peace and a truce are flourishing. In Volume 12, Matty actively works to see those rumors come to fruition, tying together many storylines we've encountered throughout the 72-issue run. Sadly enough, volume 12 also marks the conclusion of this series. It's always disappointing to see the end of a good comic, but I also appreciate authors who have a sense of story and know when theirs has run its course. I'll be watching out for Wood's next project, and I look forward to dinging out what unexpected places he draws me into next.

No comments:

Post a Comment