Wednesday, January 2, 2013

8.13: Mouse Guard: Winter 1152, by David Petersen (2009 hardcover)

My sister Sarah introduced me to Mouse Guard at the 2008 Comic Con, when she insisted we visit David Petersen in Artist Alley. I'm happy for her commitment as well, since the Mouse Guard series is one of the most charming and beautifully illustrated comics that I read. We've stopped to see David at every Con we have attended, and he's a nice guy with wonderful stories and products; you can often see me sporting a Mouse Guard t-shirt in my leisure time, and there is a board game for those who might be interested.

Petersen is both author and artist of Mouse Guard, and this goes a long way toward explaining the tightly-interwoven plot and complimentary artwork. Additional strengths are the regular use of songs, legends, and literature created for the mouse world, giving it a rich history and cultural depth. Of all the comic series I read, it's also the only one I would recommend as being suitable for all ages: young kids will love the detailed mouse, weasel, rabbit, bat, and bird characters that populate this world; older readers will further enjoy the tales of struggle and heroicism that the Mouse Guard--a middle-ages-style military force that keeps its citizens safe from external predators and internal intrigue--documents within these seasonal collections. There are two larger collections (Autumn and Winter), as well as two shorter collections of spin-off story lines; all will charm and entertain you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment