Wednesday, January 2, 2013

5 and 6.13: Conception and Desolation (House of Mysteries, Volume 7/issues 31-35 and Volume 8/issues 38-42), by Matthew Sturges, Luca Rossi, and Werther Dell'Edra/Jose Marzan, Jr. (2011/2012 trade paperbacks)

Every time I pick up a new trade of this series, I consider going back to the beginning to read it again--perhaps a bit more carefully. It's complex plot and large cast of characters make it challenging to keep track of of what's happening. When getting screenshots of the cover photos from Amazon to make this entry, I found that my feelings are not unique. Customer reviewer Garietta Falls said, "I really liked this series in the beginning, but I am beginning to wonder what the point is. The story, concerning Fig usually, makes large jumps that are hard to follow." In Volume 7, the story quite literally jumps, as the house lifts off its foundation, leaving everyone but Fig and Cain behind. This provides the opportunity--or, as it so often turns out in House of Mystery, the challenge--of following multiple plot lines within what would more usually be a single story arc. In this case, we alternate between Fig and Cain's struggle through a series of increasingly smaller houses that reveal parts of her earlier life; the choices the characters left behind make in order to occupy their time and continue their lives; the efforts of her (estranged, and possibly dead) brother, father, and grandfather to find (and maybe kill?) their sister/daughter/granddaughter; and the origins of the still bizarre and increasingly confusing, creepy couple called the Conception. It's become equal parts confusing and compelling. Another Amazon customer reviewer, Jason Upton, explained, "The story started strong and now feels like there's no plan. It jumps around without following the stories teased out. I'm hoping the next one is better or I'll have to move on." I'm right there with him.
 
In fact, I'm just starting Volume 8 now, so you'll have to wait a short time to see what I conclude!

Update: It looks like Garietta, John, and I were not alone in our struggles to stay engaged in an increasingly pointless plot. Volume 8 of House of Mystery starts out with a typed summary of all seven previous trade collections, hitting on the main points that create a consistent storyline--but leaving a heck of a lot out. When it gets boiled down this way, it easier to see what the underlying premise is. However, it would have been much simpler to keep that idea at the forefront all along rather than cluttering it up with extraneous side plots. As it turns out, I need not worry about whether or not to continue with the series, as Volume 8 appears to be the end. And, while I can't say that it was tied up nice and neatly, at least there was an effort to conclude in come way that made sense of the whole thing. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this series unless you are a diehard horror comic fan, and even then I'd say you may want to stop after trade 3 or 4--when the ideas are still fresh and interesting but haven;t yet become a tangled mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment