Saturday, January 12, 2013

20-22.13: We Find Ourselves, A Larger World, and Something to Fear (Walking Dead Volumes 15-17), by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, and Cliff Rathburn (v 15 and 16 ComiXology digital versions; v 17 2012 trade paperback)

Many folks are familiar with The Walking Dead television show that debuted on AMC in the fall of 2010 with a short 6-episode season that has been renewed for two longer seasons since then. A portion of those viewers may know that the show is actually based on this graphic novel series, but I'm guessing that even fewer of those people have actually read the comics. I'm on the other end of the spectrum: a long-time reader of the comics that has not yet watched the TV show. It's in my sights, and I've recently set our DVR to record episodes that play, but I am still resistant of watching the TV show. Like most book-to-movie leaps, it has the danger of being disappointing: characters who aren't the way I imagined, changed plot lines, and too much focus on different elements. 

And, quite frankly, I'm pretty happy with the way The Walking Dead comic series has developed. Sure, a lot of folks may dismiss it as just another of many things written about zombies, but it might be worth pointing out that the book really isn't about zombies: it's about humans managing to live in a world where zombies exist, and that's not a very easy thing to do. As a  result, the characters developed in this series are interesting, resourceful, violent, and loving. Sure, I can get all metaphorical about the idea that all of us face zombies of some sort at some point of our life--and many are unfortunate enough to face off against monstrous things for long periods of time. But, you, my readers, are intelligent humans and know this already. 

By this point in time, the series is well underway, and volume 17 passes the magical 100-issue mark. I have reviews of a couple earlier trades posted here and here, but I was already on to volume 13 by the time I started this blog. You're simply going to have to trust me on the fact that this series is worth the time and effort involved. Plus, you won't have to wait between issues and trades if you do start now: you have an entire 102 issues to enjoy. Unless you're afraid, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment