Monday, July 30, 2012

33.12 : False Memory, by Dan Krokos (2012 Advance reader paperback)

I picked up this advance proof in the free box at my local bookstore, Northtown Books, some time ago, so it wasn't really on my radar. When I read the author bio before starting the book, my expectations weren't too high, as this is the first novel published by 26-year-old Krokos. Despite this inauspicious start, the book proved to be interesting enough that I read it over the course of two evenings, staying up until 1:00 am on the second night to finish it. (If you know me at all, you know that's late for me.) It's a solid TeenLit read, of the we're-being-experimented-on/-used for-nefarious-purposes genre of teen books. Okay, so that may not be an official literary genre, but if you read enough TeenLit, you certainly can recognize it as a clear type.

The novel begins with Miranda gaining consciousness in an Ohio shopping mall with no memory other than her name. She quickly learns that she is not the typical teen, however, as her confusion and fear lead her to start a panicked stampede in the mall that results in the deaths of several people. She does this, a boy named Peter who has tracked her to this mall informs her, with her brainwaves. Unable to doscount this fact due to a loss of memory, and the all-too-clear evidence of trampled bodies, she accepts Peter's word and heads "home" with him.

Home ends up being an underground bunker in rural Ohio, where Miranda learns that she is a Rose--a genetically altered teen whose purpose will be to avoid violent bloodshed. Or so she and the three other Roses (called such because they can detect each other's brainwaves by the scent of roses) have been raised to believe. Since I already told you the genre we're working with, you know just how likely that peaceful scenario is.

Although it's a new twist on a common theme, replete with handsome love interests, the sciency nature of the premise--as well as some good action and plot turns--make this a good read. I'll keep my eyes out for future Krokos books, which will likely include the sequel this obviously set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment