Thursday, December 6, 2012

37.12: The Casual Vacancy, by J.K. Rowling (2012 hardcover, borrowed from Laurie)

I'm an average Harry Potter fan, so I was interested to read Rowling's first novel written for an adult audience. My friend Laurie--a huge HP fan who teaches a Potter-themed freshman composition course--lent me the book, and I'm glad that I didn't spend my own money on it. The novel, depicting what I must imagine is intended to be a typical small, gossipy British town, fell short of my expectations. The characters were not sympathetic, and I wasn't really invested in the outcome of the novel. Come to think of it, it's been only a few weeks since I read it, and I'm not entirely sure what that outcome was. I'll likely read another Rowling novel (surely her level of fame and fortune will allow her another even after this loser), but if she doesn't convince me with that one, I'll stick to my fond memories of and/or reread HP.

No comments:

Post a Comment