Tuesday, October 25, 2011

78: Shades of Gray: The Road to High Saffron, by Jasper Fforde (2009 hardcover)

I enjoyed the Thursday Next series Fforde started a number of years back, although I lapsed and haven't read the most recent volumes.  When I came across this in the Borders 50% off sale, though, I decided to give it a try.  In this novel, Fforde's zany humor is evident, as is his love of words and vivid language.  Here, however, we also have the added excitement of a whole new dystopic world called Chromatacia--one based on color and the ability of humans to perceive the colors around them--an ability which defines their class status within the Colortocracy, the jobs they can hold, and even who they can love or marry.  This is Fforde at his best, and I'm inspired to catch up on the Thursday Next series as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment