Friday, July 8, 2011

49: Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1), by George R.R Martin (paperback, 1996 release)

I picked this up because everyone was buzzing about the Game of Thrones Showtime series that was out last year. Since we don't have premium channels, I figured this was the cheaper way to get the inside scoop.  Ultimately, I enjoyed the book quite a bit.  While sword-wielding liege-lord fantasy isn't usually my cup of tea, the pace of this book is excellent, and Martin's strategy of shifting between a dozen or so narrators/protagonists with each chapter break aids in the development of an intricate plot and rich world.  I finished reading this while I was in Seattle and immediately got the next volume on my iPad.  It will likely take me a while to get through the second volume (I read from my iPad only when traveling, and these are BIG books), but I'll comment further when I do so.  In the mean time, tell me what you thought of the books and/or TV show if you have read/seen them/it.

No comments:

Post a Comment