Wednesday, January 19, 2011

6: An Object of Beauty, by Steve Martin (2010 hardcover)

I have to start this entry by confessing that I love Steve Martin.  While he's not one of my three desert-island boys (as he is for my friend Lola), I am always amazed by the depth of Martin's talent.  Most folks know that he's a great comedian and author.  Fewer likely know that he's been touring with a bluegrass group for a couple of years, playing banjo and charming crowds--two of which I've been fortunate to be a part of.  (My favorite song in his collection, "Atheists Don't Have No Songs" is hilarious.) And, considering the limited number of people who read these days, I'd guess that even fewer people know Martin as an author. Yet, in many ways I think he's an even better writer than he is a comedian, actor, or musician.

Both of his earlier novellas--Shopgirl (2000) and The Pleasure of My Company (2003)--were charming depictions of young, innocent protagonists making their way in the world.  In An Object of Beauty, Martin's first full-length novel, the protagonists--the male art critic who serves as narrator and the female art curator/gallery owner whose life he narrates--are young but less innocent.  From the very beginning of the book, in fact, readers are aware that the two have committed a crime of sorts, and their early indiscretion is slowly revealed over the course of a ten year tale following this secret act. In the process of revelation, the we are treated to an inside view of New York City's art world from the 1990s and early 2000s.

In addition to his many talents, Martin is an art collector and student of sorts. (His recent talk at the YMCA in NYC drew national attention when the Y refunded attendees' money because of complaints that Martin talked more about art than his acting; he made a funny appearance on The Colbert Report shortly after, critiquing a propaganda poster of Stephen.) Martin's knowledge of and appreciation for art of the Modern and Contemporary periods is clear in the beautiful descriptions throughout--supplemented by a couple dozen full-color pictures of art pieces sprinkled throughout the pages.  Reading An Object of Beauty made me eager for my next big-city visit and the museums and galleries that await. And for Martin's next novel, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment